Sometimes (okay, more often than not) I amaze myself. Either I'm incredibly gifted or dumbed down dense...take your pick.
Since the first week of June I've been mostly pescetarian with an occasional "meat" day, usually once a week. Label me flexitarian. And, by the way,pescetarianism isn't especially difficult, it's a nutritional sweet-spot I can highly recommend.
My meat days have usually embraced my favorite, the hamburger, but lately the burger's become boring, disappointing, and frankly I'm afraid I just don't like'em anymore. So sad, but I guess it's better to have a pleasant memory than a wicked realization. Sigh...I miss you pleasant memory, you know who you are.
Back on point...
So I venture out of my comfort zone. And into the wild of chicken thighs, because I'm a leg and thigh guy, breasts just don't do it for me. Besides, breasts are sooooo 1980's. With that thought in mind I created, possibly, the greatest chicken dish of ever and ever...the bacon wrapped stuffed chicken thigh. Here are the deets to serve two hungry runners:
6 thin, cheap slices of bacon
1 chicken thigh, de-boned and skinless
1/2 C chopped mushrooms of your choice
1 tbsp xvoo
1 small clove garlic, minced
2 tbsp minced red onion
1 tbsp fine dice red bell pepper
1 tbsp white cheddar cheese, grated or small cubed
1 tbsp of your favorite BBQ sauce, I use this
1 tbsp of your favorite honey-mustard dressing
1. Over medium heat slow saute the mushrooms, onion and RBP in the xvoo until well caramelized, add the garlic and cook until you can smell the garlic, usually about 3 more minutes. Add the BBQ sauce and remove from heat. Mix in the cheese, taste and adjust seasoning. You just made the stuffing.
2. Pound or butterfly the chicken thigh as thin as possible without tearing. Dust with fresh ground pepper.
3. Make a lattice work with the strips of bacon like this:
4. Spoon on the stuffing like this:
5. Place chicken on bacon, wrap and place on roasting pan with lattice side up.
6. Roast in 350 degree oven to internal temp of 165 or about 50 minutes.
7. Rest 10 minutes under foil. Slice on diagonal bias, drizzle with honey mustard, serve with oven roasted new potatoes, crusty bread and a side salad.